Commitment to Ethics
We pride ourselves on our responsible and ethical practices
The foundation of our culture is our Ethos, which shapes how General Dynamics employees act according to our shared values of transparency, trust, alignment and honesty. In all things. At all times.
This standard starts with our leaders and serves as the foundation of our company. We understand the magnitude of this responsibility and our role in preserving the General Dynamics brand and reputation.
As a government contractor with nearly 70% of our revenue from the U.S. government, we operate in a highly regulated environment and are subject to regular audit and review by multiple U.S. government agencies to assess our compliance with applicable laws, regulations and standards. The U.S. government also reviews the adequacy of, and compliance with, internal control systems and policies, including our purchasing, property estimating, material, earned value management and accounting systems.
Each and every employee is expected to uphold these standards and is equipped with the tools and resources they need to do so successfully. Our commitment to ethics is reinforced with our employees on their first day of employment and throughout their careers with General Dynamics. Not only do we foster an ethical work environment, we work to create an environment where employees feel safe, empowered, and equipped to speak up and do the right thing.
Leadership Commitment to Ethics
General Dynamics’ leadership team lives our values and serves as an example to our employees, customers and shareholders.
Our board of directors and our key financial professionals have adopted ethics codes specific to their roles, which they commit to annually. Both codes have been carefully crafted by leadership to align with our Ethos. With their signature, our chairman, board members and financial leaders promise to manage our business with the highest standards of ethical conduct while aligning to our Ethos, our moral compass.
Leaders throughout the company make decisions through an environmental, social and governance lens to foster ethical and sustainable business practices. This perspective is applied to every step in the process of delivering a product, service or solution to a customer and when engaging with the communities in which we live and work.
Readily Available Tools and Resources
We take a number of steps to equip our employees with the tools and resources they need to do the right thing.
- We provide each employee with our Ethos and with Our Standards of Business Ethics and Conduct commonly known as the Blue Book. The Blue Book states our expectation that all employees conduct business in accordance with our Ethos, applicable laws and our policies.
- Our leadership teams and the ethics, human resources and legal departments are equipped to assist and provide guidance as needed as confidential resources to raise questions, get advice and express concerns. They strive to foster an open and safe environment and embed our Ethos and commitment to ethics in ongoing communications.
- Each GD facility is equipped with prominent Awareness Centers that reinforce our commitment to our Ethos, outline tools available to employees, and list the Ethics Help Line website and toll-free number. A message from our CEO is included in each Awareness Center to further demonstrate our position.
- The GD Business Ethics Help Line is a 24-hour helpline, accessible by phone or the web, and available to employees in 13 languages. Questions or concerns can be raised using the Help Line, anonymously or otherwise.
All reported concerns are investigated promptly and in confidence. If we find that our standards have been violated, we take action, including involuntary termination and disciplinary action; implementing systemwide changes; and notifying governmental offices or agencies, customers and/or suppliers.
We strictly prohibit retaliation against anyone who raises an ethics or compliance issue in good faith.
Global Network of Ethics Officers
Each of our businesses has one senior ethics officer who has direct access to and meets with the leadership team regularly to discuss trends, opportunities and communication strategies. These senior ethics officers also meet regularly as a group to discuss best practices that can be shared across our portfolio. In addition, they work with other ethics officers in the defense industry through the Defense Industry Initiative to share best practices, continuously improving their programs to protect General Dynamics’ brand and reputation.
In support of the ethics officers, we have more than 100 part-time local ethics officers (LEOs). Our LEOs, selected based on proven character, are embedded in locations with our largest populations.
Ethical Business Around the World
As a leader in the aerospace and defense industry, we provide services and products to governments around the world. The laws and regulations relating to doing business with government customers and public officials are complex. As such,
- We provide our employees with the appropriate resources to comply with applicable laws and regulations.
- We abide by the laws and restrictions regarding the import and export of our products, information and technical data, including the U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Nearly every country has laws and regulations that control the international movement (e.g., imports, exports, re-exports and technology transfers) of specified product information and services.
- We comply with the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and other applicable anti-corruption laws around the globe.
- We ensure that we remain current with these laws and regulations
We have a robust anti-corruption compliance program rooted in our Ethos and tailored to potential risks faced in our business. Designated anti-corruption officers and other compliance professionals at each business unit help carry out the program and serve as a resource. Elements of the program include written policies and procedures, training, risk-based management and third-party due diligence, multiple reporting systems, and regular compliance audits.
Standards of Business Ethics and Conduct
Below, you'll find PDFs of the code of conduct for our Board of Directors and financial professionals, as well as copies of the "Blue Book" in 17 languages.